The “Prof. Dr. Ion Chiricuta” Institute of Oncology (IOCN) was
established in 1929 by Prof. Dr. Iuliu Moldovan, under the name of
“The Institute for Research and Prevention of Cancer”. It is one of the
first cancer centres in Europe. Starting with 1965, the Institute went
through a period of modernization, initiated by Professor Ion
Chiricuta. This is the reason why ever since 10.08.1990, it has borne
the name of “Ion Chiricuta” Oncology Institute.